27.10. - 09.11.2019
Tours to the Eastern Coastal Asmat are almost never done by foreigners. In some river areas, as the Fajit or Dere River, many inhabitants have never seen foreigners before. The art and culture as well as the traditions of these rarely visited Asmat tribes are intact and have unique charm. The villages are packed with traditional craftsmanship and the spirit of the originally Asmat with its celebrations and rites can be felt in every corner. This special expedition of 14 days will bring you to the real Asmat far away from the main rivers. After the flight from Denpasar to Timika our expedition continues by a charter flight to Ewer/Agats, followed by a motor longboat trip.
Individual arrival in Denpasar, Bali latest until 27.10.2019. Gladly we organise your arrival and departure additionally for you.
Arrival in Denpasar, Bali. Either individual arrival or organised additionally by MEET THE GLOBE against extra charge. Transfer to the Hotel Ida. The rest of the day is to relax.
Day dedicated to acclimatization in Bali. Transfer to the airport for our flight with Garuda Indonesia to Timika around midnight.
Arrival in Timika in the early morning. The onward flight to Ewer/Asmat is planned for the same day with duration of 45 minutes. After the arrival in Ewer we will take a 30 minutes boat ride to Agats. In the afternoon we will visit the very interesting Asmat Museum which collected a big amount of unique Asmat artifacts. and stay overnight in Hotel Anggrek.
Today we leave Agats in an easterly direction. When the weather is good, we will travel along the coast to Uwus. . After arrival our tents and the kitchen will be set up inside a traditional men house (Jeu), an empty house of the inhabitants or in a school. Every day we will proceed like this.
Today we continue to Atjamutsji which is a wild village and receives hardly any visitors. It lies on a small water channel and some men here are very experienced crocodile hunters. Whoever wants, can accompany them in this unique experience. We spend the night in the men's house.
After breakfast we leave Atjamutsji and drive through a narrow river channel in the middle of the coastal mangrove forest. On this fantastic trip you will be thrilled by the lush tropical flora, which can be admired at close range. From the canal we get directly to the sea. We follow the coast eastwards until we reach Omandesep, a village which is well known for its craftsmanship in Asmat. After our arrival the inhabitants quickly bring all their art treasures to the men's house and a lively bazaar is created. On such occasions, one often finds unusual and inexpensive objects, such as one cannot find in any other official shop. A big drum festival is planned later in the evening. Several drummers will sit around the main fire and play their old songs. Little by little more men from the village join in and start dancing, soon the whole house trembles and we really find ourselves in a completely different world. This unique experience you will never forget! We stay overnight in an empty house or the school.
After breakfast we go with a big group of Asmat to the nearby forest. We drive our boats along the canal until we find a suitable place to enter the forest. Be prepared to witness an unbeatable adventure because our hosts will show us how they keep their traditions alive. With singing and screaming, the Asmat will cut down a suitable tree. This is decorated and rafted back into the village with a lot of singing. Once in the village, the men are welcomed by angry women who want to chase them back into the forest. Ritual beating with sticks is also part of this ceremony. When the women are calmed, the decorated trunk is carried in front of the men's house, drums are played, and the highest-ranking carvers begin their work - an ancestor pole is created! You will see all from a front row which will give you the opportunity to capture every moment with your camera.
Today we take a short boat trip to Pirien and Ocanep, also a very famous settlement of the old Asmat. Our departure is dependent on the current tide because these villages can only be reached during high tide. ) In 1961 the disappearance of Michael Rockefeller (son of the then New York Governor and US Vice President), made Ocanep know worldwide. According to current knowledge, the young Rockefeller was killed and ritually eaten by men from Ocanep, his bones were distributed among the tribal leaders, his skull is said to still be in a tree trunk deep in the forest. But certainly the fate of Rockefeller is still one of the great mysteries of our time. During this day we will visit Ocanep village, but since this a very remote place, the conditions a wild and they don´t receive as many visitors as you would think due to their prominence. During the night we plan to stay in an empty house, but there is the possibility that we are not allow to do so, in that case we will sleep on a beach on the coast
In the early morning we will perform a 1 hour drive along the coast line to Fajit River. We are going upstream to visit several hidden villages such as Yaptambor y Santambor. During this visit we want to attend a drum festival. You will discover great differences between these villages and the visited the past days; this is due to Yaptambor y Santambor mark the border of the actual Asmat. Today we will be spending the night in a men's house or an empty building.
We will travel for two days in order to get to Agats. That´s why today we begin our trip back along the coast. When we reach the mouth of the Bets, we will pass the Biwar Laut settlement and reach the great river Sirets. Once we arrive to the Beriten village we will prepare ourselves to spend the night in our camp.
Today after breakfast we are following again the coast line or use a mangrove channel to arrive in Agats at noon. The rest of the day is to relax. Overnight in Hotel Anggrek.
In the early morning transfer by boat from Agats to the airfield of Ewer. All passengers and luggage must be weighed before departure. We will be transfer by speedboat or with a charter; all will depend on the availability of the charter. After arrival in Timika transfer to our Hotel Komoro Tame. The rest of the evening is for leisure, later dinner in the hotel.
Transfer to Timika airport and scheduled flight with Garuda Indonesia to Denpasar, Bali. Transfer to the already known Hotel Ida. The rest of day has no program.
Transfer to the airport of Denpasar for your individual onward journey or your return to your home country.
- Domestic flights with Garuda Indonesia (Denpasar – Timika – Denpasar)
- Charter flight for the whole crew (Timika – Agats); if charter not available
- If available charter flight for the whole crew (Timika – Agats); if charter not available: Transfer with speedboat
- International tour guide (German and English)
- Crew from Wamena (cook etc.)
- Equipment (tents, cooking equipment, dishes) but NO sleeping bag and mattress!
- Motor long boat including crew and petrol for the whole group
- Full board, unless stated otherwise (Hotel Ida)
- Programme according to the itinerary above
- Travel permits (Surat Jalan)
- All transfers
- 3 nights Hotel Ida, Kuta/Bali
- 2 nights Hotel Anggrek, Agats
- 1 night Hotel Komoro Tama, Timika
- 7 nights in tents
- International flights to/from Denpasar, Bali (may be booked on request)
- Airport tax on the international flights arriving at and departing from Denpasar
- Sleeping bags and sleeping mattresses for the nights in the tent
- Meals in Bali
- Beverages in hotels and restaurants
- Private expenses during the tour
- Medical precautions and advices
- The luggage limitation for checked luggage is 15 kg per person because of valid restrictions on the charter flight and on the national flights.
- The passport has to be valid at least 6 more months on the day when entering Indonesia.
- EU citizens will receive a free visa upon arrival.
- Other citizens please check with the respective embassy if a visa is required for Indonesia and about the procedure. We gladly support you when dealing with this issue.
- When entering Papua every visitor has to bring 1 passport copy and 2 passport pictures for the travel permit.
- A checklist on what equipment to bring will be send after booking confirmation.
- The price for the 14 days and 13 nights from/to Denpasar, Bali, is 5.490 € in a double room respectively in a double tent.
- The single room/tent surcharge is 350 € in total.
- The minimum number of expedition members is 6.
- The level of difficulty on a scale up to 10 is indicated with a 5.
- A certain degree of fitness is assumed. But you definitely do not have to be a top athlete to be an expedition member. It is self-evident that we travel as a group and respect the weakest link in the chain.
- After receiving the booking confirmation a deposit of 15 % of the total price has to be paid. The remaining payment has to be completed latest 6 weeks before the trip.
- A cancellation up to 30 days before the trip attracts a cancellation fee of 20% of the total travel price.
- Between 29 and 10 days before the trip the cancellation fee is 60%.
- Between 9 days and 1 day before the trip 90 % of the total costs have to be paid.
- Any no show or an early departure will result in a 100% payment of the total price and there will be no refund.